Soil and Environment (S&E)
Soil and Environment (S&E) tool to evaluate the environmental functions of the soil profile data
S&E is software that assesses the environmental functions of considering a minimum data set of soil profile, which is important in the planning of land use both in rural, urban and suburban area.
The data required to operate the software are: thickness of horizons, bulk density, stoniness, organic carbon, cation exchange capacity and texture.
S&E is for:
- Assess the environmental functions of soils allowing decide the selection of the best sites for housing construction considering their power buffer against pollutants such as heavy metals and organic substances.
- Identify soils with greater aptitude for food production.
- Select the suitable land as habitat for wild flora and fauna.
- Select sites for aquifer recharge.
- Identify soils more organic carbon stored helping to slow climate change.
- Identify soils of archaeological importance (history, such as ancient temples or buildings)
- Assess soil geological importance (history of the land, such as soils with the bones of prehistoric animals, soils with evidence of ancient sea beds, etc.)
- Multiplatform, it works on any operating system that supports Java VM
- Java programming language
- Developed on the programming environment Eclipse 3.7.1
- Database engine, Derby DB